Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Alas, Dear Readers, I did not abandon you. At least not permanently, anyway. No, I've been to Las Vegas! (And didn't have time for a fair-thee-well post.)

So, our trip was a little different than Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo loading the Great White Shark with drugs, booze, and explosives. I'm a middle-aged woman who wears flannel monkey pajamas. It was a lot different.

Nigel was going to Vegas for a conference and I got to tag along. I hadn't fully considered 100 degree heat when we made these plans, but given that Denver has been hotter than Vegas, I guess it was a bit of a break, actually.

I've got a love-hate thing with Las Vegas. I'm fascinated and intrigued, yet appalled all at the same time. When you're there with friends it's different--you're drinking, you're gambling, you're caught up in it all--the kitsch, the excitement. When you're there virtually by yourself (Nigel was in classes from 8am until after 5pm each day), the excesses are glaring and many of the people just seem sad.

Still, I had a good time. Mostly, I checked out the new hotels/casinos since it had been 10 years since my last trip and tried to stay in AC. Some of the hotels were really amazing such as Wynn and Bellagio, but some such as the Venetian and Paris just came off as tacky caricatures. It was like being at Casa Bonita (which I had to explain to my mom was not a good thing.)

For the uninitiated (or those not familiar with Denver), you can learn all about the Good House here: Casa Bonita.


But I digress. Let's leave Casa Bonita for another post. I spent a lot of my time sitting in air conditioned sports books, watching football. That was great.

The weirdest thing of the whole trip--and I'm bummed I didn't get a picture of it--was a penguin-themed slot machine where you could score a (are you sitting down?) "Global Warming bonus". I didn't play to find out what exactly that meant, because frankly, I was a bit scared.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the trip.

Just in case you forgot for a moment that you weren't really in Paris. Yes, you're in the United States, moron. Don't sue us.


And then there is this one, from the soon-to-be-flattened Stardust Hotel. (Shame that, it's one of the last great classic hotels and they have the best marquis on the Strip, hands-down.)


I have to confess that I was intrigued by the concept of "Hypnosis Gone Wild" but alas we didn't go to the show. If you did and you want to post a review, please let us know if it really was Hypnolarious!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back blogging! (I've been checking in.)

I missed out on the gambling gene. I've been to Las Vegas twice and for me it's more about getting a look at all the glitz, which fascinates me, and people-watching. Oh, and the food.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

I've never beed to Vegas but I'd be awfully scared to go to any show involving hypnosis that was "Adults Only."

Unless, of course, it was someone else getting hypnotized.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Thanks, Terry. :D

Becca, you'd love Vegas, especially if you stay at New York, New York. It would be just like you never left home. Well, except for the climate-controlled environment, the clean streets, the slot machines,and the overly-cheery people wearing appliqued sweatshirts. But their manhole covers have steam coming out of them! It was so authentic!

Oh, I forgot a funny story. Nigel was telling me about hotdogs from a place called "Joe's or something like that." I had to pause before asking, "Nathan's, you mean?" "Yeah, whatever." ::eye roll::

2:02 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Bwahahahahaha! I love a good cup of nathan.

Also, 3-card-monty is a kind of slot machine and we have that.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's where you were!

I have never been to Vegas. I have never been further west than Ohio actually.

I need to get on that soon.

KP

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home