Happy Bruce Springsteen Day
Springsteen's new album, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, hits stores today. I got mine on Saturday--pre-ordered from Sony and I guess they figured three days wasn't enough time to pirate and distribute a gazillion copies. Little do they know. (I joke. I joke. Mr. FBI man, I swear it was a joke.)
It's fantastic. It's really rootsy with a good dose of zydeco thrown in. Heck, the Boss even makes Mr. Frog Went a Courtin' sound good. You can tell they had a great time making this one.
I'm a late-arriving Springsteen fan. I always liked him okay but it wasn't until my brother and I decided to go see him five years or so ago that I got it. I've seen him four times now and won't miss an opportunity to see him live, whether it's a stadium show with the E Street Band or a solo performance as he did for Devils & Dust.
The best show yet was when my brother and I took our parents to see the full band at the Pepsi Center. This was their idea--my 70-something stepdad saw in the paper that tickets were going on sale and he thought this might be something he'd like to do. Mom just happened to mention it to me. I said, "Hold on a minute" and within 15 minutes, my brother and I decided we would take them, as we were going anyway.
Two days before the show, mom called me and asked, "What if it's too loud? I suppose I could just leave." It took a minute to collect my thoughts but my response was, "It will be too loud. Plan for that."
We had great seats and they had a fantastic time. Everyone around us loved them--my stepdad made friends with everyone near him and did end up taking his hearing aid out because it was too loud with it in. They thoroughly enjoyed the show and the experience and even listen to The Rising (the tour we saw) now and again. My brother and I spent the evening looking at each other, shaking our heads, and laughing.
My favorite question of the night (and there were many....) was when mom wanted to know how Silvio Dante had time with his busy Sopranos filming schedule to join Bruce Springsteen on tour. What a great memory.
It's fantastic. It's really rootsy with a good dose of zydeco thrown in. Heck, the Boss even makes Mr. Frog Went a Courtin' sound good. You can tell they had a great time making this one.
I'm a late-arriving Springsteen fan. I always liked him okay but it wasn't until my brother and I decided to go see him five years or so ago that I got it. I've seen him four times now and won't miss an opportunity to see him live, whether it's a stadium show with the E Street Band or a solo performance as he did for Devils & Dust.
The best show yet was when my brother and I took our parents to see the full band at the Pepsi Center. This was their idea--my 70-something stepdad saw in the paper that tickets were going on sale and he thought this might be something he'd like to do. Mom just happened to mention it to me. I said, "Hold on a minute" and within 15 minutes, my brother and I decided we would take them, as we were going anyway.
Two days before the show, mom called me and asked, "What if it's too loud? I suppose I could just leave." It took a minute to collect my thoughts but my response was, "It will be too loud. Plan for that."
We had great seats and they had a fantastic time. Everyone around us loved them--my stepdad made friends with everyone near him and did end up taking his hearing aid out because it was too loud with it in. They thoroughly enjoyed the show and the experience and even listen to The Rising (the tour we saw) now and again. My brother and I spent the evening looking at each other, shaking our heads, and laughing.
My favorite question of the night (and there were many....) was when mom wanted to know how Silvio Dante had time with his busy Sopranos filming schedule to join Bruce Springsteen on tour. What a great memory.
Labels: Music

2 Comments:
The FBI doesn't care, silly. It's the RIAA who will sue you.
Whatever. I'm on all of their lists.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home