We Interrupt This Blog
to bring you an important action alert from ABFFE, the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression. This came in today's email. My commentary to follow (but, of course!)
And now, on to the commentary. I agree wholeheartedly with ABFFE's position on this. Yeah, yeah, no one likes to see a burning flag. I get why it outrages people, but it is, quite simply, an act of free expression. It might be a distasteful one, but there are loads of those. If you start by banning this one, where do you stop? One of the rights we all should hold dear is the right to express ourselves in the manner in which we see fit.
I love our flag. I think it's beautiful. I'm the first one to be outraged when I see a tattered flag flying, or when someone fails to remove their flag in bad weather, or lower it at half-staff to mark a death. So, when someone feels the need to burn a flag, I have to believe that they are so angry or so frustrated that they simply do not know how else to express it, and they wish to get people's attention by doing so. And they generally do.
Our civil liberties are at stake here. I can hear you say, "But I'm not a flag burner, Kay!" Okay, maybe you're not, but if they take away this form of expression, what is next? No scenario is too crazy here. We live in a time of erroding civil liberties and challenges to our right to free expression--don't believe me, just follow some of the things being done under the guise of the USA PATRIOT act. We should all be concerned, even if it doesn't impact us directly today. It might tomorrow.
Please, take a moment and call your Senators.
Good night, and good luck.
And now, on to the commentary. I agree wholeheartedly with ABFFE's position on this. Yeah, yeah, no one likes to see a burning flag. I get why it outrages people, but it is, quite simply, an act of free expression. It might be a distasteful one, but there are loads of those. If you start by banning this one, where do you stop? One of the rights we all should hold dear is the right to express ourselves in the manner in which we see fit.
I love our flag. I think it's beautiful. I'm the first one to be outraged when I see a tattered flag flying, or when someone fails to remove their flag in bad weather, or lower it at half-staff to mark a death. So, when someone feels the need to burn a flag, I have to believe that they are so angry or so frustrated that they simply do not know how else to express it, and they wish to get people's attention by doing so. And they generally do.
Our civil liberties are at stake here. I can hear you say, "But I'm not a flag burner, Kay!" Okay, maybe you're not, but if they take away this form of expression, what is next? No scenario is too crazy here. We live in a time of erroding civil liberties and challenges to our right to free expression--don't believe me, just follow some of the things being done under the guise of the USA PATRIOT act. We should all be concerned, even if it doesn't impact us directly today. It might tomorrow.
Please, take a moment and call your Senators.
Good night, and good luck.

3 Comments:
Here's a nice picture of our President, desecrating a flag for the delight of his followers.
http://www.firedoglake.com/
"When the President does it, it's not illegal" - Richard M. Nixon.
In late-breaking news, the bill was defeated in the Senate yesterday. Just barely. It's not over yet....
Indeed, it's not over yet. The bill failed by one vote and they're expected to vote again on Thursday.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home