Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving, Part Un

I read an article in Yoga Journal this morning about coping with family during the holidays. I thought I'd share some of their useful and thought-provoking tips, as my Thanksgiving gift to my Dear Readers.

First: Forgive and Reconnect

The point was made that as soon as we step back into our family situations, long-engrained responses and feelings are triggered. Try to view this time instead as an opportunity to reconnect with your family and to let go some of the stressful feelings. "If I'm sitting on all kinds of anger, resentment, judgment, or hatred, it's my heart that's all knotted up and contracted," psychotherapist David Chernikoff says. "Part of the spiritual process involves the understanding that forgiveness of ourselves and one another helps everybody."

Second: Intend to Accept

Set an intention, as one does in their yoga practice. Chernikoff says, "...[G]ood intention won't cure every complex emotional family drama, but it's a wonderful place to start. Ask yourself whether you just want to prove you're right or whether you want a heart connection with your sister, father, grandson, or ex-husband." Fostering acceptance of yourself and your family will go a long way in providing some harmony in otherwise-stressful family events.

Third: Bear Witness

It was pointed out in this article that it's during the holidays that often times our resolve and hard work break down, as do coping tactics. Author Laurel Kallenbach reminds us to create space for ourselves and provides some sound tips. She also states, "When all else fails, try to keep your family in perspective, remembering that each of us, including our relatives, has our own life and path within the context of our individual circumstances."

Laurel Kallenbach's entire article, A Family Affair, is here. It's worth a read--it gave me a much-needed dose of perspective and reminder as we head into the Thanksgiving weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that. I will forward that to my friend who goes through marathon anxiety every year at this time. I can't imagine what that is like.

I have to say that I am one of the lucky ones. I have a huge family, seven brothers and sisters, and we all have kids. We manage to be together at least four times a year. We really enjoy each other! (The alcohol doesn't hurt.)

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home