Life, the Universe, and Everything
Last night was one of those wonderful nights; a rare treat when I got a surprise visit with my best friend. I was giving a presentation in Boulder, where she lives, and she came to listen--while emailing me from her Crackberry the entire time. The transcript is hysterical, including this bit:
"I'm in love with your whole outfit, and your voice sounds super sultry. I need a new watch. I am surprised you haven't said anything about me, by the way. I'm pretty sure the flier said I would be discussed glowingly AND at length. Perhaps I misapprehended it. I call guy in the back row, if we're forced to do one or the other of them, btw. Not sure how that would arise, but in the event it does, I want my position known. You do know a lot about all this stuff. Smart Kay! You're getting kind of gesture-y all of the sudden: what's that all about? I'm surprised you haven't told any jokes w/vague, racist implications--changing up your material, Miss?"
The rest really isn't for public viewing.
But anyway, I wasn't expecting her to come. Why would anyone who isn't in the book industry want to listen to someone bloviate about it for two hours? But I guess that's what best friends do. And then after we went out for an unscheduled drink, where we talked about life, the universe, and everything. It was wonderful.
Ann has been a friend of mine since we were 13. We've had a long and varied relationship--some very good and some very bad. A few years ago, we decided we just wanted the good and it's been fantastic ever since.
In addition to solving the problems of the world, we decided last night that we will return to New York for our 45th birthdays (we celebrated our 40ths there) and that we would be there for Bloomsday. We also confirmed our commitment to start smoking again at 60. We talked about her adorable kids ("The good news is that M can go to college anywhere she wants because P will be in prison"), our jobs, our husbands, politics, the hellishness of our 21st (don't ask) high school reunion, and so much more. We laughed our asses off and had some serious moments, too, talking about the joy of being overwhelmingly content with and happy in our lives.
So, pick up the phone and call your best friend. You'll both get an unexpected treat. And probably a few much-needed laughs.
"I'm in love with your whole outfit, and your voice sounds super sultry. I need a new watch. I am surprised you haven't said anything about me, by the way. I'm pretty sure the flier said I would be discussed glowingly AND at length. Perhaps I misapprehended it. I call guy in the back row, if we're forced to do one or the other of them, btw. Not sure how that would arise, but in the event it does, I want my position known. You do know a lot about all this stuff. Smart Kay! You're getting kind of gesture-y all of the sudden: what's that all about? I'm surprised you haven't told any jokes w/vague, racist implications--changing up your material, Miss?"
The rest really isn't for public viewing.
But anyway, I wasn't expecting her to come. Why would anyone who isn't in the book industry want to listen to someone bloviate about it for two hours? But I guess that's what best friends do. And then after we went out for an unscheduled drink, where we talked about life, the universe, and everything. It was wonderful.
Ann has been a friend of mine since we were 13. We've had a long and varied relationship--some very good and some very bad. A few years ago, we decided we just wanted the good and it's been fantastic ever since.
In addition to solving the problems of the world, we decided last night that we will return to New York for our 45th birthdays (we celebrated our 40ths there) and that we would be there for Bloomsday. We also confirmed our commitment to start smoking again at 60. We talked about her adorable kids ("The good news is that M can go to college anywhere she wants because P will be in prison"), our jobs, our husbands, politics, the hellishness of our 21st (don't ask) high school reunion, and so much more. We laughed our asses off and had some serious moments, too, talking about the joy of being overwhelmingly content with and happy in our lives.
So, pick up the phone and call your best friend. You'll both get an unexpected treat. And probably a few much-needed laughs.
Labels: Friends

6 Comments:
Oh, that sounds so lovely. She is hilarious!
Yes, come here for your birthday! And even your next birthday! And your half birthday! And Lincoln's Birthday!
And so forth.
You won't be embarrassed that we're wearing our Bloomsday holiday sweaters? And we figure by 45 we'll be in stirrup pants.
Jane, she is one of the funniest people I've ever met. She constantly has me laughing.
What a wonderful post and a great tribute to best friends!
lovely--made me homesick for my bud
jtschmack
you two sound very well-matched. oh, i sure wouldn't mind joining you for the smoking thing!
(i'll have to call katie tomorrow morning now.)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home