Monday, March 19, 2007

Dreams of My Audacity of Hope

We went to hear Barack Obama speak last night and I am sold. I don't have time to write about the entire experience, but I do have time to tell you I was completely blown away and Senator Obama now, officially, has my support. Oh, sure, I've been leaning that way for ages now, but now it is official.

It may sound like a cliche but I support him because I'm tired of the politics of fear. He believes in the politics of hope. He believes that we can be better than what we are. He believes that we need not live in constant fear of the "other." He believes in the things I believe in: social justice, the importance of our Constitution, saving our environment, properly educating our children. And he was against the war before it was politically expedient to express it.

Wherever you're leaning in these early days, get out an hear the candidates--it's an amazing experience you can't get by watching them on TV. We're hoping now that John Edwards comes to town soon. Also, register to vote. Nothing at all can change if we don't all get out and vote. Our fragile democracy depends on it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I belive that he believes in all those things. I love the ideas he expresses.

I don't see that in his whole 28 months in Washington that he has actually done much of anything to implement any of them yet.

Too bad there's no way to know what he really would have done if he'd been in the Senate four years ago.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Ricky Shambles said...

I'm pulling for him too, and hoping he speaks nearby (lucky!). I need to do more research, but he's so genuine in his speaking, so honest. He really wants to effect change, and we are in desperate need of it. And I don't think any of the other candidates have that to the extent that he does.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home