Saturday, August 11, 2007

Those Voices in My Head

are coming out my radio.

A few weeks ago, I was interviewed by our local public radio station on the topic of solar energy. It was a pretty cool experience and one of those spur-of-the-moment things where I didn't have time to think about what I was going say and all of that.

Years ago, the only other time I did radio, it was a nightmare. There were four of on this "panel" and I was the last one in line. Every single solitary question, by the time they got around to asking me, there would be a long silence, or at best, a regurgitation of something someone else had just said much more articulately. Most of the time I would say things like, "Brad said exactly what I was thinking" or "Jennifer really hit the nail on the head." It was an excruciating two hours.

But this was totally different and totally cool. I was sitting right here where I'm typing now and talking on my cell phone. Fifteen minutes later, we were done. A few days after, I got word that they were going to be able to use part of my interview in their monthly Q&A segment with the Governor. Cool. We tuned in at the office and listened, and then turned off the radio.

But here's the weird thing. They keep using one of my soundbites (I have a soundbite!) as a promo for their Public Insight Network. I'm driving to work; I hear myself on the radio. I'm sitting in my office typing; I hear myself on the radio. My ex emails me; he heard me on the radio. My colleague emails me; I heard you on the radio. Again.

It's starting to freak me out. Hearing the sound of your own voice on the radio is strange enough, but hearing it over and over and over again--and when you least expect it is even stranger. Perhaps this is my fifteen minutes? Autograph, anyone?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you still alive?

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home