Those Were the Days of Miracle and Wonder
On a late spring Friday in 1991, Amanda and I were driving along I-25 just north of
I don't know how it happened, exactly, but one of us must have said to the other, "You know, I've always wanted to see Graceland" and the other must have replied, "Hey, me too...."
Within three hours, we were on I-70 heading east bound out of Denver. We had a stack of cassette tapes (including
Saturday morning, after driving around lost in
Sunday morning, we were off again. We drove through
Money was tight so we looked for the first cheap motel we could find. $15 bucks a night on the periphery of
Monday morning arrived--and not a minute too soon--and we were out the door of the No-Tell Motel, and the first in line for the
Ahhhhhh. There just aren't enough words to describe it all.
After our tour, we stopped in at one of the many Elvis gift shops in the area to stock up on unnecessary plastic items, and then it was time to decide on our next move.
Back into my little Civic hatchback, and we were southbound. We made a straight shot down Highway 98 through Mississippi and that evening we were on
I miss those day but both of our lives have changed. We both have mortgages and significant others, limited vacation time and less patience for sitting in a hot car for 10 hours at a stretch. You know how it goes. But we do have great memories of this trip and the other road trips we did together, including our lunch date in Taos, a two week trip to see as many Paul Bunyons as we could throughout the Pacific Northwest, and the midnight drive to Dallas that lead to meeting Nigel.... But those are stories perhaps for another time.
There's some part of me wants to see
Graceland
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love, every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland....

2 Comments:
I want to hear the story of the midnight drive to Dallas!
Ah, the days of no responsibility. :)
Ah, those were the days.
We left Denver at midnight to drive to Dallas to meet up with this English guy I'd met on a business trip. He introduced me to Nigel, innocently enough, maybe a year later. :D
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home