Friday, September 15, 2006

It's Trade Show Season

A sure sign of autumn is the first "fall regional" trade show. This year, my first and only show (yay!) is here in Denver this weekend. In publishing, this is the absolute busiest time of the year because there are so many shows and people are trying to wrap their holiday buying/selling. I think at last count there were nine different shows throughout the country. A lot of the reps I know cover at least three of those shows, and sometimes as many as five or six. It's grueling.

These are a lot smaller and more low key than BookExpo America, but a lot of work just the same. It's a great opportunity to meet with indie booksellers from around your region and sell them your latest and greatest. Most of the sales reps have already sold their fall lists--the books coming out between now and the end of the year. This is their first opportunity to sell their spring lists (January - June books), get additional orders for their fall lists, show the books that they actually now have in-hand because they didn't have finished books (or ARCs--Advanced Readers' Editions) when they were traveling during the summer. It's also a good opportunity to meet with the owners and buyers (often the same person) from stores far enough off the beaten path that they don't see sales reps.

It's also a good opportunity to drink on others' expense accounts and score free books.

I've been in the biz for 20 years next year, so I know many of the reps and it is so fun to catch up with everyone. There are always loads of laughs and some great reading recommendations. I'll be sure to pass along any books with good early buzz. So, I'm off to moderate a panel of booksellers and publishers talking about how to work better together (yippee) and to see a lot of old friends. Enjoy your weekend.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I vaguely remember reading books that weren't written or reviewed by Daniel Pinkwater. If I think hard, I can probably remember back when I'd read something for adults not written by Jennifer Weiner.

A job which requires that you read new books sounds like a little slice of heaven. Oh, I know, reality and all that, but let me fantasize that you have a dream job, OK?

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Okay. :D

It's cool, but when you're working in a publishing house it's strange because you're reading things so far ahead. We work in "seasons" and my colleagues are now working on their Spring 2007 and Fall 2007 books.

I tend to read a lot of forthcoming books, so my favorite books from last fall's show were things that didn't even hit the bookstores until spring. It's strange because there aren't a lot of people you get to talk to about what you're reading sometimes.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home