Friday, September 01, 2006

This May Be the Last You See of Me

Today begins our kitchen remodel project. After 11 years of marriage, however, we've gotten smart about these things. No, we didn't hire pros, but we both are taking on separate projects in different parts of the house. I will be painting our bedroom upstairs, while Nigel tackles the kitchen downstairs.

We bought our house from a dear man named Russel. Russel is an artist. An artist with a poor understanding of the color wheel. Slowly but surely, we're undoing the damage he created. Our livingroom used to be kelly green with bright blue swaths, and a high-gloss lemon yellow ceiling. The dining room was scarlet (and I do mean scarlet) with the same high-gloss lemon yellow ceiling.

Both rooms are now lovely shades of "cafe au lait" with pink undertones. Gorgeous.

Here are some "before" shots of this weekend's projects. I hope you can get the full impact of the kitchen colors. (Painting the kitchen will not take place this weekend.... We get the green for at least a few more weeks. Yay!)




Sorry, that last one is gross. But this is the state of our sad, sad kitchen.

And this is a shot of the bedroom. The colors have always reminded me of Grape Ape.



Our new bedroom will be a soothing and delightful shade called "Vanilla Ice Cream". What could be better, really? (Yeah, I picked it for the name Shaddup.)

So, off we go for the last Home Depot run. Wish us luck. If you don't see me again, it means we either killed each other, or one has killed the other and the one still alive is in jail. I've got my attorney on speed-dial.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I am trying to wrap my mind around the scale of a kitchen remodel that includes painting an upstairs bedroom. I mean, I eat in bed, but I don't have the elan to pull off simply extending my kitchen into my sleeping quarters.

You are daring indeed.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the force be with you.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on remodelling issues....

I am sending you prayers, positive thoughts, jazz hands and whatever else you need to get through this.

KP

10:07 AM  
Blogger EffietheDal said...

prayers for your community, oxo.

I have two rooms left to paint in my house before I am finished. Then, we will have painted every single room in the house!

We didn't buy from an artsy type, but we did buy from people who didn't update their rooms since about 1980. At least.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape Ape, that cracked my shit up, Kay.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home