Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Late Night with Aaron Sorkin

So, my main issue with Aaron Sorkin's new NBC drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" is that it is on so bloody late. Who in their right mind places a show in the latest prime time slot available? People have to sleep, you know.

Yeah, yeah, don't remind me about VCRs and DVRs. We're having Technical Difficulties in our house right now.

Somehow I managed to stay awake for last night's premier (though I did keep sliding down on the couch) and I'll give the new, much-anticipated show two thumbs up. I'm a long-time Sorkin fan, from being one of the few (I think) who adored his little-noticed Sports Night, the show that launched Peter Krause and Felicity Huffman, to West Wing.

When West Wing wrapped last spring, I was glad to hear Studio 60 was coming and have been waiting for it all summer. It didn't disappoint. Pilots can be awkward, as writers and directors try to establish for the audience who's who and how they interrelate, but Studio 60 seemed much smoother than that, and in the scenes focused on Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry, it seemed like they'd been working together like this, bantering back and forth, forever.

It is strange to see Chandler Bing and Josh Limon together on the same show, but I'm sure after a few episodes I won't be making that connection. I kept expecting madcap Chandler antics--probably involving a a few awkward moments about his third nipple, or perhaps for Rachel or Janice to burst onto the scene. This Perry is older, wiser, and more serious and his character appears to be one step away from losing it all. Perry and Whitford seem well-suited to be the next Limon/Ziggler; their chemistry together is great.

The pilot had shades of Sorkin's previous series (of course) but also the 1976 movie "Network", with several references and mentions of writer Paddy Chayefsky. I'll spare you a plot outline--either you saw the program, or if you didn't and you're interested enough, there are plenty of online sources. All-in-all, this was a solid effort wrapped up nice and neat with an Aaron Sorkin bow by the end of the hour, and I'm looking forward to the next 12 episodes. Welcome back, Aaron Sorkin, and hey, would you pass me the No-Doze?


Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have the time to watch much tv these days, so I have to choose carefully. Happily, I chose well last night; I enjoyed this show too. I was impressed with Matthew Perry -- and didn't expect to be. Nice surprise.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

He was in a few episodes of West Wing and was good. It was a surprise because he got pegged as a comedic actor and he's got more range than that.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan + Bradley Whitford = TLA

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I fell asleep. I had really been looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a VCR or a DVR.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fell asleep halfway into it. Fortunately, it's on the TiVO so I'll try to watch the rest before next week. I loved Sports Night for the first season, got a little weary of it towards the end. Wasn't a West Wing fan, for some reason.

Sorkin's niece was in my daughter's class in preschool--they had a couple of playdates and I met his sister, who works for the JAG and was the inspiration for A Few Good Men.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I forgot. Why didn't you call me? Oh right, that whole, "I don't know your number" thing.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home