Meet Me at the Corner of Sleepytime and Zinger
On Friday, I had to run an errand I'd been putting off, up to Boulder. Boulder itself isn't that far away, but I needed to go to the most northwest part of Boulder, to a neighborhood called Gunbarrel, to visit Celestial Seasonings and buy a lot of tea (six cases plus, actually.)It's about an hour each direction, and longer if traffic is bad, but it was a gorgeous day so I hit the road and took the long (scenic) route up Highway 285.
It was a gorgeous October day--we are blessed with amazing weather in Colorado--just don't tell anyone. Alternating between Fred and Ethel on XM, I headed north.
Celestial Seasonings Teas was founded in 1969 by Mo Siegal, and they merged with the Hain Food Group in 1991, but their plant remains in Boulder. You can go on tours there (I've never done this), and by all accounts, the Mint Room will cure what ails you. They also have a pretty awesome little cafe, where I used to eat lunch a lot when I worked in Gunbarrel and nearby Niwot, and an amazing gift shop.
I've never smelled tea on the air up there before, but got hit with the scent of Sleepytime as I got out of the car. It took me about three minutes to gather what I needed (six cases of my beloved Candy Cane Lane, a box of the new--and awesome--Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride, and some Blueberry Zinger), and then I hit the road back to Denver, stopping to grab a few shots along the way. It was a bit hazy out, but with 75 degrees and sun, who was complaining?




5 Comments:
Those photos make my part of the country seem really ugly.
Hi Oxo, Not really stalking :) but when I noticed your blog, thought I might get some ideas for my trip. This makes me really anxious to get out there. PLEASE save me some nice weather. . . (for a wk from today) I live in the 'middle' and it got too cold too fast. JTSCHMACK--occasional GDTer
Jane, I love the plains, even more than I love the mountains. There is a subtle beauty to the plains that I love and find hard to describe. (I think your area is more "plains" than not, right?)
JT, have a great trip. If you dig through my archives you might find a few tips but we don't really get out and do stuff that would be interesting to tourists, so much. Hard to say what the weather will be like when you're here but the good news is that if it turns bad, it never stays that way for long. Expect cool, crisp, and bright, mostly.
Right. . .whenever my DD gripes about snow or cold, I just laugh at her. She knows better than to call me for sympathy :)
I reeeeeeeeeally need to stop reading your blog :) It makes me SO homesick. I knew EXACTLY where you were when I read your title. I love love love Celestial Seasonings tea. It doesn't often get cold enough in AZ to drink tea regularly, but when it is...I bust out my Sleepytime. Ahhh...THAT is divine.
Great pictures- you are quite talented!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home