Curse You, David Chase
No, I'm not suddenly disappointed with the ending of Sopranos. Well, not exactly anyway.
I would have been perfectly content--no, make that happy, to never ever hear that song again. You know which one I mean. That insipid Journey song. Now, it's lodged itself as a permanent earworm in my brain. And it is everywhere. It's in articles about the show. It's in the Pittsburgh Pirates' spoof, it's in Hilary Clinton's REALLY bad spoof. It was the first thing (the first thing) in my brain at 3:00 this morning when I woke up.
"Don't Stop Believin'"--note: no "g"--was overrated and overplayed when it was released. I was in high school and that song was a shining example of everything wrong with American music at that time. In England they had The Clash, The Police, U2. In 1981, we had Kenny Rogers, The Eagles, and Journey. From it's vapid lyrics to its whining guitar, that song just sucks. And what the hell is a "power ballad" anyway? Nigel calls it "the anti-Stairway to Heaven."
Sure, I would hear it from time-to-time in the grocery store--and then curse the grocery store music gods (also known as Musak) and I could live with that. Now it's fucking everywhere, and it's even in the top 25 music downloads right now. What I want to know is who is buying it and more importantly, why?
Make yourselves known to me. Explain yourselves. Thank you.
I would have been perfectly content--no, make that happy, to never ever hear that song again. You know which one I mean. That insipid Journey song. Now, it's lodged itself as a permanent earworm in my brain. And it is everywhere. It's in articles about the show. It's in the Pittsburgh Pirates' spoof, it's in Hilary Clinton's REALLY bad spoof. It was the first thing (the first thing) in my brain at 3:00 this morning when I woke up.
"Don't Stop Believin'"--note: no "g"--was overrated and overplayed when it was released. I was in high school and that song was a shining example of everything wrong with American music at that time. In England they had The Clash, The Police, U2. In 1981, we had Kenny Rogers, The Eagles, and Journey. From it's vapid lyrics to its whining guitar, that song just sucks. And what the hell is a "power ballad" anyway? Nigel calls it "the anti-Stairway to Heaven."
Sure, I would hear it from time-to-time in the grocery store--and then curse the grocery store music gods (also known as Musak) and I could live with that. Now it's fucking everywhere, and it's even in the top 25 music downloads right now. What I want to know is who is buying it and more importantly, why?
Make yourselves known to me. Explain yourselves. Thank you.
Labels: Music

1 Comments:
I did!
http://tinyurl.com/2odfyj
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home