Is This Thing On?
I'm baaack! And in honor of this momentous occasion, I've redecorated. At least on my monitor, this orange looks just like an orange Tootsie Roll pop. Sold!
So, I've been pondering what to write since my last post on 18 August, and while I received many remarkable suggestions, the best one was to share with you everything I've done since my last post. Here 'tis:
Wrote and sent lots of resumes.
Interviewed for a few jobs.
Cried.
Moved my office from Golden to my home.
Engaged in several painful (and tearful) conversations with my bosses about the fact that I wasn't going to be allowed to do the job they hired me for.
Escorted our New York Times bestselling author around Denver for a few days.
Received a job offer from a super cool non-profit organization serving kids.
Gave notice.
Got fucked over by bosses but felt relief, none-the-less.
Trained a 22 year old with 2 years book industry experience how to do my job.
Watched the Rockies play their hearts out to the World Series.
Burned four hours trying to buy World Series tickets online and then realized that the club has gotten enough of my money over the years.
Watched the Rockies tank in the World Series.
Watched my adopted team, the Red Sox, kick ass in the World Series.
Went to Park City with Nigel for a few days for a conference.
Gave a killer presentation.
Was awarded the President's Award for my service to the organization.
Cried.
Watched a really interesting hearing on C-SPAN about the TSA's No-Fly list.
Started new job.
Cried. Happy tears.
Completely updated a Web site and a whole slew of marketing materials.
Met Marcus Camby.
Spent loads of money at Tattered Cover.
Met dozens and dozens of adorable kids who rock my world.
Watched "Lives of Others"--a great movie about East Germany.
Bought a new camera.
Had a nice Thanksgiving dinner with my family.
Went to the zoo and took pictures of tons of animals. Made a zoo ABC book for my niece's second birthday.
Went shopping for work clothes.
Took Kenneth to the vet.
Met John Lynch. Cried while dozens of kids celebrated a surprise Christmas.
Got my name mentioned in the society column of the newspaper.
Talked on the phone to people at Harpo Productions (more on this later.)
Shivered.
Went to a bunch of doctors' appointments, including my first oncologist/hematologist appointment (all is fine though it was a much more thorough appointment than I ever anticipated. I felt like she should have dimmed the lights and played mood music....)
Scored a wicked cool Red Sox World Series t-shirt in our holiday gift exchange and promptly had it stolen from me. Also had the day-glo monkey/palm tree candle stolen. Ended up with a jar of jalepeno jelly.
Made a pot of awesome chili that did not win the company-wide chili cookoff. My cookies have, however, become a big hit.
Had drinks with lots of friends and saw my best friend over Christmas.
Celebrated Thanksgiving II with my family. Scored the cash in our family gift exchange.
Got the whole time off between Christmas and New Years. Cleaned out all of the closets in our house and felt very proud.
Toasted 2008 at a local English pub at 5:00pm on New Years Eve.
Watched Barry Levinson's most excellent Baltimore series. Fell in love with Adrian Brody all over again.
Discovered Marseille Figs, the coolest band in all the land.
Ate Whoopie Pies. Felt sick.
Got food poisoning at our departmental post-holiday lunch.
Met my mom and brother for lunch.
Had an out of town friend in for dinner.
Became addicted to Survivorman.
Kidnapped Louie, the neigbhorhood bad-ass cat whose real name is Gato, so he could sleep inside someplace warm one night when it was sub-freezing. He wasn't happy, nor were any of the other cats in our house.
Geeked-out on C-SPAN's election coverage.
Went out for drinks with work friends.
Got a pedicure.
Went up to the mountains for a weekend with some friends. Shivered. Walked on a frozen lake.
Hosted a dinner party for 9 in someone else's kitchen with virtually no heat.
Read some awesome books.
Rejoiced over the return of Lost.
Hosted my first marketing committee meeting, full of big, scary associate board members I've never met.
Booked a flight to Kansas City. Made plans to go to Chicago in May.
Participated in my first caucus. Voted for Barack Obama. Proposed that our precinct add "Impeach Bush and Cheney" to the party platform and it passed unanimously.
Resigned from my last publishing association committee.
Setup a book deal between my new org and a publisher for our kids to write a book.
And I think that's about everything. If I realize I've forgotten something, I'll be sure to get back here and add it in.
So, I've been pondering what to write since my last post on 18 August, and while I received many remarkable suggestions, the best one was to share with you everything I've done since my last post. Here 'tis:
Wrote and sent lots of resumes.
Interviewed for a few jobs.
Cried.
Moved my office from Golden to my home.
Engaged in several painful (and tearful) conversations with my bosses about the fact that I wasn't going to be allowed to do the job they hired me for.
Escorted our New York Times bestselling author around Denver for a few days.
Received a job offer from a super cool non-profit organization serving kids.
Gave notice.
Got fucked over by bosses but felt relief, none-the-less.
Trained a 22 year old with 2 years book industry experience how to do my job.
Watched the Rockies play their hearts out to the World Series.
Burned four hours trying to buy World Series tickets online and then realized that the club has gotten enough of my money over the years.
Watched the Rockies tank in the World Series.
Watched my adopted team, the Red Sox, kick ass in the World Series.
Went to Park City with Nigel for a few days for a conference.
Gave a killer presentation.
Was awarded the President's Award for my service to the organization.
Cried.
Watched a really interesting hearing on C-SPAN about the TSA's No-Fly list.
Started new job.
Cried. Happy tears.
Completely updated a Web site and a whole slew of marketing materials.
Met Marcus Camby.
Spent loads of money at Tattered Cover.
Met dozens and dozens of adorable kids who rock my world.
Watched "Lives of Others"--a great movie about East Germany.
Bought a new camera.
Had a nice Thanksgiving dinner with my family.
Went to the zoo and took pictures of tons of animals. Made a zoo ABC book for my niece's second birthday.
Went shopping for work clothes.
Took Kenneth to the vet.
Met John Lynch. Cried while dozens of kids celebrated a surprise Christmas.
Got my name mentioned in the society column of the newspaper.
Talked on the phone to people at Harpo Productions (more on this later.)
Shivered.
Went to a bunch of doctors' appointments, including my first oncologist/hematologist appointment (all is fine though it was a much more thorough appointment than I ever anticipated. I felt like she should have dimmed the lights and played mood music....)
Scored a wicked cool Red Sox World Series t-shirt in our holiday gift exchange and promptly had it stolen from me. Also had the day-glo monkey/palm tree candle stolen. Ended up with a jar of jalepeno jelly.
Made a pot of awesome chili that did not win the company-wide chili cookoff. My cookies have, however, become a big hit.
Had drinks with lots of friends and saw my best friend over Christmas.
Celebrated Thanksgiving II with my family. Scored the cash in our family gift exchange.
Got the whole time off between Christmas and New Years. Cleaned out all of the closets in our house and felt very proud.
Toasted 2008 at a local English pub at 5:00pm on New Years Eve.
Watched Barry Levinson's most excellent Baltimore series. Fell in love with Adrian Brody all over again.
Discovered Marseille Figs, the coolest band in all the land.
Ate Whoopie Pies. Felt sick.
Got food poisoning at our departmental post-holiday lunch.
Met my mom and brother for lunch.
Had an out of town friend in for dinner.
Became addicted to Survivorman.
Kidnapped Louie, the neigbhorhood bad-ass cat whose real name is Gato, so he could sleep inside someplace warm one night when it was sub-freezing. He wasn't happy, nor were any of the other cats in our house.
Geeked-out on C-SPAN's election coverage.
Went out for drinks with work friends.
Got a pedicure.
Went up to the mountains for a weekend with some friends. Shivered. Walked on a frozen lake.
Hosted a dinner party for 9 in someone else's kitchen with virtually no heat.
Read some awesome books.
Rejoiced over the return of Lost.
Hosted my first marketing committee meeting, full of big, scary associate board members I've never met.
Booked a flight to Kansas City. Made plans to go to Chicago in May.
Participated in my first caucus. Voted for Barack Obama. Proposed that our precinct add "Impeach Bush and Cheney" to the party platform and it passed unanimously.
Resigned from my last publishing association committee.
Setup a book deal between my new org and a publisher for our kids to write a book.
And I think that's about everything. If I realize I've forgotten something, I'll be sure to get back here and add it in.

9 Comments:
Good lord. I can't believe I left out all of the awesome Komen stuff!
I'm speechless.
Oh, and yay!
You kick ass.
Yay! I'm so glad you're back!
I knew you'd come back! I do like the new look as well!
Right, OK, but other than that, what were you doing?
I'm glad you're back, too!
~mb~
Wow, Kay! What an interesting life you have! What kind of non-profit do you work for?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home