Friday, May 12, 2006

Qwest's Spirit of Service--Finally

Anyone who has missed my rant about Denver-based Qwest is lucky. I’m a long-time hater of the company, legendary for their indifferent customer service, culminating in one special day a few years ago when I spent the better part of nine hours on the phone speaking with 11 different people about a problem I didn’t even know was a problem. At 4:00 in the afternoon, “Customer service rep” number 12 said, “Can you tell me what happened?” I took a deep breath, paused, said, “No, actually, I can’t.” I hung up the phone and burst into tears.

But I digress.

This time, Qwest got something right. Something big. They are the only major telephone company to refuse the National Security Agency’s request for customer phone records, citing concerns about customer privacy. When they asked if this request shouldn’t be coming by way of the FISA court, they were told “no”. They requested a letter of authorization from the US Attorney’s office and were told “no”. In turn, they told the NSA “no” and were warned that they could be risking future classified contracts. (source: Jonathan Turley, George Washington School of Law on MSNBC’s Countdown, 5/12/06.)

Verizon, Bell South, and AT&T all complied. So, you are asking, why is this really a problem? It’s a problem on a number of fronts.

First, it’s a violation of your First Amendment right to privacy. Who you call when is your business and not anyone else’s. Secondly, it’s a violation of your Fourth Amendment right—the right against “unreasonable search and seizure.” These records are being taken without your permission. There is little difference between this and the NSA showing up at your front door to start looking through your files.

But I haven’t done anything wrong; I’ve got nothing to hide, you might be thinking. The vast majority of us don’t. The NSA has tens of millions of customer records now. Do they honestly believe that as much as 2/3 of the population of this country is somehow related to or affiliated with Al Qaeda? Seriously? That would be the only potentially justifiable reason for such a sweeping collection of these records. Come on, is anyone being fooled by this?

I was a student of politics and also Soviet history. I don’t feel it is unreasonable at this stage to say that what is going on in this country right now, under the guise of making us “safe from the terrorists” smacks of Soviet-style governing. There are clear threats to, at a minimum, our First and Fourth Amendment rights—rights guaranteed by our Constitution, yet little is being done about it.

Bush, et al, are modern-day Raskalnikovs—they break the law because they think they're above the law. By simply stating that they haven't done anything wrong does not make it true. What they are doing is illegal. As Dana Milbank of the Washington Post stated, "The President is not his own judge and jury." No, he is not. We are. The Congress is. The Supreme Court is.

So, had enough yet? What can you do about it? Several things. First, quit sitting back and taking it. The revolution begins now, motherfuckers. (Thanks, Mags.)

Senators Arlen Spector and Patrick Leahy have promised Congressional hearings on this matter. Make that happen. Write and call your elected representatives—House and Senate, on both sides of the aisle—and demand this happen. Write your local papers. Write to Qwest and thank them. Write to Verizon, Bell South, and AT&T expressing your anger. Change your phone service. Participate in the class action lawsuits that are in the works against these three companies. Read. Educate yourself, take to the streets, vote in November. All of these things matter—they really do.

As Jonathan Turley said on Countdown last night, he knows of “no law that allows this type of operation.” What is being done here is illegal and must be stopped. Those involved (including President Bush) must be held accountable. Please, sit down and write a letter or two this weekend. I will be.

And (this is something I never thought I’d say), thank you Joe Nacchio.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only quibble I have with an otherwise spot-on post is that you compare the actions of this maladministration with the Soviets. I would argue this "government" is more fascist in tone. This level of collusion between big business and government has long been a defining characteristic of fascist regimes.

This may seem like hair splitting. After all, such actions are totalitarian in nature, and go against everything the U.S. is supposed to stand for, but I believe the distinction is important.

Follow this link, and check off the items that apply to the Bush administration. Then ask yourself if we can afford another two years of unfettered abuse of power by these people.

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/The_14_characteristics_030303.htm

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to Air America all day long yesterday because of this topic. The phone company participation wasn't news to me (although the Qwest refusal was). Last night watching various news channels, I could not believe the number of morons they rounded up to interview who said things like "It's for the safety of our country, so I don't mind giving up my privacy." Gah.

Today I'm planning on doing some research. I honestly don't know what my choices besides Verizon are in my area.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Yeah, that's the tough thing, Jane. I puffy hate Qwest but I guess this is bigger than my customer service quibbles.

Nigel (darling), you make a good point. I purposely did not use the word "communist" because the things I'm referring to--unreasonable search and seizure and the whole "we know what's better for you than you do" attitude is very Soviet.

While the Soviets may have been working towards a Communist ideal on paper, many of their tactics *were* fascist. That's one of the first words that comes to mind when I think of Stalin. So, I do think we're on the same page there.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The end result is the same-1984. Communist regimes tend to come about through revolutionary, violent political change. Fascism tends to creep up slowly, chipping away at personal & political freedoms until one day a nation wakes up as Nazi Germany, to use the best known example. Hitler was elected.

I've heard it likened to putting a frog in a pan of water, and heating it slowly. By the time the frog realises what's going on, it's cooked.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Would Orwell be laughing or crying?

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nigel - I've used the frog in the pot analogy to describe domestic violence before. I never realized how fitting it is to this country's current situation as well.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Orwell, and many others, would be disgusted at the way the American people are sleep-walking into this. Eisenhower warned of the dangers of the military/industrial complex. Throw in the corporate media and you've got the perfect recipe for disaster.

This is getting into tinfoil hat territory, but I wouldn't put it past these people to release manufactured germs into the population, call it bird flu, and declare martial law. We're being prepped.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, where are the sheep head pictures, K? Becca's blog has much more levity.

:p

Excellent entry. And I love you for sourcing. And for comparing Bush's adminstration to the Soviets.

And I finally got to 'meet' Nigel! Hi Nigel! I'm 37th in line to marry you, should K knock off anytime soon. Just FYI.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Jan, behave yourself!

My blog is full of levity--just not today. What wasn't light about my favorite candy post? Or my favorite words? Please. Levity is what I do best.

The serious posts don't come around that often. They make my brain hurt.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Democrats need to grow some cohones and not allow General Hayden to be confirmed.

Merlie

7:24 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

Kay's blog is like a box of chocolates. Some days it's a literary essay, some days it's political, some days it's full of humor. Many days it's a combo of these things.

Oh, wait, that's not like a box of chocolates.

Anyway, brava, and I just have to say, I once talked to nine customer service reps at Verizon and they STILL didn't fix my problem. Now they're selling me out too. Great.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Merlie, I honestly don't think that Congress will be able to stop it. Maybe now, in light of this, but sadly, I don't think so.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Some days it's filled with nuts, some days with um uh, I don't know.

Wow, bad customer service and screwed over both! You lucky girl.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the sheep head picture would be quite appropriate for this particular entry as it seems the American people all have their heads in a corner thinking, "If I can't see them, they can't see me."

When Bill Kristol and Juan Williams agree on an issue...

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON! I'm with ya 210%.

The most disgusting side of this bold faced liar is that he is so ignorant that he cannot see anything wrong in his tyrannical tactics. He sees himself as a crusader for God rather than an illogical idiot who is trampling all over our constitutional rights. It seems to be organized paranoia. Millions of phone numbers don't have a connection to Al Qaeda. I don't want those creeps listening in to me. This is worse than 1984. This is tyranny. I never believed that I would say that about my own government.

Nana...

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got me all roused up, so I fired off an angry e-mail to the Man at Verizon. They "assure" me this is supersecret, but they are complying with all statutes. And what LaTwanda at the eCenter says, MzHolly believes. BAER

"We appreciate that the USA Today article and other reports about the possibility
that the NSA is able to analyze local call data records is causing concern.
Please be assured that Verizon places the highest value on protecting the
privacy of our customers.

Anything to do with the NSA is of course highly classified, so we can not
comment on whether or not the news article causing concern is even accurate. But
we can say that, to the extent that we cooperate with government authorities, we
are confident that we are complying with all applicable statutes. We appreciate
the continuing opportunity to provide you with service.

Thank you for using Verizon. We appreciate your business."

(It's so nice to be appreciated!)

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home