Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Magic

Yesterday we had a Valentine's Day party (a little early) for about 100 of our kids. A group of volunteers came out to help and we all had so much fun. Two little girls came to the party crying. Another girl had been calling them names and told them to "shut up." The poor things--their eyes were red from crying. I got the sugar cookies and frosting, and their own tub of jimmies. The tears dried, and they soon moved on to making Valentines and making pipe cleaner flowers.

Then they met Dave, one of the volunteers. They were completely taken by him, and make him several cookies, plus flowers to take home. He was smitten, too. The three of them had so much fun playing in glue and glitter. I hope Dave didn't get any on his tie!

One young boy, about 8, came up to me and said, "My name is from Shakespeare. Do you know what it is?" I guessed Horatio and Othello, but I was wrong. He finally told me that his name is Romeo. I told him I thought that was a great name and a very special one, and he agreed with me, and then showed me his cookie covered in jimmies and red hots--and then crammed it into his mouth.

My "cheeky boys" still won't let me take their pictures. Don't tell them I managed to sneak a few while they were playing bingo with conversation hearts.

Moses couldn't believe I didn't have a Valentine for Nigel so he colored one for me and his 13 year old sister helped him write his name on the back, so Nigel would know who colored it.

No matter how bad my day goes, all I have to do is walk into a room filled with these amazing children and it is all transformed. Unreal.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home