Friday, December 15, 2006

Holiday Music Deathmatch

So, the other day my brother sends me a story about XM Radio's Chanukah music channel. I comment that I thought we only had the dreidel song--you know, Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay.... Apparently we have more--enough for a whole music channel!

So, I'm driving to work yesterday, surfing channels as I do. Lo and behold, "Yid Kids" appears on my read-out! This must be the Chanukah channel! I stop to have a listen. They're playing this morose sort of song called, are you ready? "Santa Doesn't Come To Little Jewish Children's Houses." Wow, how's that for uplifting and positive holiday spirit?

I don't know why the "Yid Kids" haven't made it bigger with a hit like that. I've been surfing and surfing this morning and the best I can find is a short clip here on Amazon. Listen and weep.

Then, having gotten quickly bored with that, I continued surfing, stopping for "Rudolph" (Yay! We love Rudolph!) by a band called Scribble Monster. Well, ya gotta stop and listen there. This was a totally kick-ass version of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." After a little research, I learn that Scribble Monster is an awesome rock band with music geared for kids. Sadly, I can't find a link to their version of "Rudolph" but you can find Scribble Monster here. How can you NOT dig a band whose Web site is called Scribbletown? Please.

So, thankfully there really isn't Holiday Music Deathmatch because we Jews would get our asses kicked. Our Chanukah music bites. Yeah, yeah, I know Chanukah is a minor holiday and all of that, but there's really got to be more than "Santa Doesn't Come To Little Jewish Children's Houses" and "the dreidel song". We write Christmas music beautifully--"White Christmas", "Silver Bells", "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire", heck, a Jew even wrote "Rudolph"!

Well, thankfully we do have Adam Sandler, so put on your yarmulke, it's time to celebrate Chanukah!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, we got a really nice CD of Chanukah songs several years ago (well, technically, we got a tape several years ago and replaced it with a CD last year). It had some sort of dumb ones, but also some really lovely ones I didn't know existed, along with a few like Maoz Tzur and Al HaNisim. It's by Cindy Paley. Has definitely expanded my family's repertoire of Chanukah songs.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I listened to XM108 last night for about an hour. Nice idea, but lacks something in the execution. It was like being in Outer Mongolia and having only one English-language station that plays everything from Doris Day to Bob Dylan to 50 Cent, in random order. Plus, it wasn't Chanukah music, it was just Jewish music. There were Passover songs in there, and a Richard Tucker rendition of Avinu Malkenu, and someone's version of Shalom Aleichem (the Shabbat hymn), and stuff like that.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Yeah, I've listened to it a few times and it's just so random.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay, shoot me an email and I can hook you up. I know a guy.

mail@scribblemonster.com

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home