Welcome to Our World Class City, Part 2
Where people stop being polite and start being real.
Yup.
MTV's "The Real World" is in Denver for season 18. Yes, you read that right. Season 18. *This* is the true indicator of our "world class status"--we're hip enough (or something, is it hip?) to make The Real World. We're cowtown enough that it's SEASON 18. I think this show jumped the shark, oh, maybe 10 seasons ago?
New York has gotten TWO seasons (the original--the classic--and season 10). Heck, even Seattle and Austin got Real World seasons before we did. When we heard the news, I couldn't resist commenting, "What's next? Real World Omaha?"
Anyhoo, it's a very exciting time here in our Fair City. First, there were a lot of rumors and speculation that they were actually here and filming, and then there were the 24 hour webcam and blog (actually, there are several blogs but this one seems to be best kept up-to-date) setup to track the housemates' every moves. And then, our local indie paper even punk'd us all by creating a fake cast and sending them around to be filmed in local bars and stuff. Pathetic, yet also sorta funny, too. It was an exciting summer 'round these parts.
So, now the show is on and we're FAMOUS, famous I tell you! The cast lived in the hip (yes, hip) Lower Downtown (LoDo) neighborhood in a space that has been several failed restaurants. And now we've learned that someone has purchased the house to create an upscale restaurant "building on what MTV started". Wha?
Okay, first off, in a typical move, the restaurant doesn't even open until April, at which time The Real World Denver will be a fading memory. I say "typical" because this makes the restaurant owners as edgy and cool as uh, Real World 18?
Secondly, from what I've seen in the half episode I've watched, all MTV has started is a lame TV show with a bunch of drunken sluts making out with and sleeping with each other. That doesn't seem to be a very strong premise for a restaurant, but whatever.
Our local cowtow media can't get enough of this, with stories about the speculation, the premier of the show, and now "exlusive!" looks inside the space, and stories about the restaurant. The father-son development group that purchased the 29,000 square foot space did so for (are you sitting down?) $3.3 million dollars--$600,000 more than MTV paid just six months ago. I wish them well. No, seriously. ::gulp:: (Source: Denver Business Journal.)
So now we're early in season 18, where people quit being polite and start being drunk and slutty. The show is a shadow of its former self, as The Real World was the first reality TV show of its kind. Still, we'll watch it. Who doesn't like watching 20 somethings in bathing suits and seeing great location shots of their own hip city? I want my MTV.
Yup.
MTV's "The Real World" is in Denver for season 18. Yes, you read that right. Season 18. *This* is the true indicator of our "world class status"--we're hip enough (or something, is it hip?) to make The Real World. We're cowtown enough that it's SEASON 18. I think this show jumped the shark, oh, maybe 10 seasons ago?
New York has gotten TWO seasons (the original--the classic--and season 10). Heck, even Seattle and Austin got Real World seasons before we did. When we heard the news, I couldn't resist commenting, "What's next? Real World Omaha?"
Anyhoo, it's a very exciting time here in our Fair City. First, there were a lot of rumors and speculation that they were actually here and filming, and then there were the 24 hour webcam and blog (actually, there are several blogs but this one seems to be best kept up-to-date) setup to track the housemates' every moves. And then, our local indie paper even punk'd us all by creating a fake cast and sending them around to be filmed in local bars and stuff. Pathetic, yet also sorta funny, too. It was an exciting summer 'round these parts.
So, now the show is on and we're FAMOUS, famous I tell you! The cast lived in the hip (yes, hip) Lower Downtown (LoDo) neighborhood in a space that has been several failed restaurants. And now we've learned that someone has purchased the house to create an upscale restaurant "building on what MTV started". Wha?
Okay, first off, in a typical move, the restaurant doesn't even open until April, at which time The Real World Denver will be a fading memory. I say "typical" because this makes the restaurant owners as edgy and cool as uh, Real World 18?
Secondly, from what I've seen in the half episode I've watched, all MTV has started is a lame TV show with a bunch of drunken sluts making out with and sleeping with each other. That doesn't seem to be a very strong premise for a restaurant, but whatever.
Our local cowtow media can't get enough of this, with stories about the speculation, the premier of the show, and now "exlusive!" looks inside the space, and stories about the restaurant. The father-son development group that purchased the 29,000 square foot space did so for (are you sitting down?) $3.3 million dollars--$600,000 more than MTV paid just six months ago. I wish them well. No, seriously. ::gulp:: (Source: Denver Business Journal.)
So now we're early in season 18, where people quit being polite and start being drunk and slutty. The show is a shadow of its former self, as The Real World was the first reality TV show of its kind. Still, we'll watch it. Who doesn't like watching 20 somethings in bathing suits and seeing great location shots of their own hip city? I want my MTV.

4 Comments:
I haven't watched an episode of the Real World apart from one or two during the season that had the gross bicycle messenger and the HIV+ saint, but if they filmed it in Columbia, MD (possibly even Baltimore), I'd watch it. Because the good part of not living in, say, NYC or LA is that you feel some proprietary interest in the place you live, and it would be cool to see your hometown on t.v. like that.
They haven't already done either of those locations, have they? Because I totally wouldn't know.
Okay, I confess I have watched it. A) because I am from there and now live in another state and it's just kind of cool seeing your hometown on TV and b) they filmed in my bro-in-law's restaurant, and I wanted to see the restaurant on TV. If it weren't for that, I'd probably not have made it through episode one.
What was wrong with B52's? Why not bring that back?? Progress, I guess.
That's one of Denver's many cursed restaurant spaces. Anything that goes in there, fails.
I haven't seen the show since the first season, either, but I'd probably have to watch it if it were filmed locally. It's really not that horrible, I suppose. Since the onslaught of reality shows, there are both good and bad.
I only watch two. One, Top Chef, is the only show I make a point to watch every week if it's at all possible. It's also the one I'm not ashamed about watching.
The other one? The shameful one? (blushing, averting eyes) The Flavor of Love. Yep. Flava Flav! The show's like a train wreck. It's horrible. It's ugly. The bodies strewn all about the place. I can't help it. I can't look away.
So, don't feel bad, Kay. Real World isn't so bad, considering the other alternatives. You can proudly say, "I want my MrealiTV!"
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home